Crispy deep fried dumplings recipe - Crunch on the outside and juicy chicken and vegetable fillings inside. Perfect as an appetizer or party snack.
You can prepare the dumpling and freeze it for later use. Perfect for deep fried, boiling, steaming, or cook it in the noodle soup.
Fried Dumplings Chinese
Crispy Chinese dumplings are one of the most popular Asian appetizers that all kids and adults love. Basically, it is made with chicken or prawn mince, cabbage, spring onions, and simple soy sauce and sesame oil seasonings. Very similar to the Chinese crispy wonton recipe, the only major difference is the wrapper. Wonton skin is thicker in texture and dumpling wrappers are thinner and smaller in size.
Can you make Steamed or Pan Fried Dumplings?
Yes, definitely! With this recipe, you can also create, steamed and pan-fried dumplings.
Steamed dumplings: Place the cabbage leaves over the steamer rack, then place the dumplings and steam 8-10 minutes until fully cooked. ( Do not over-crowd in the steamer as the dumplings can stick to each other. Place at least 1 cm apart. Steam in batches if needed. )
Chinese pan fried dumplings: To pan-fry the dumplings, heat the flat non-stick pan into medium heat, drizzle a tablespoon of oil and place the dumplings pleat upward in the pan. Fry for 1-2 minutes and pour 4-5 tablespoon of water, close the lid, and cook with low-medium heat for another 5-6 minutes or until the water evaporates and the dumpling bottom part becomes crispy golden. That's it!
Ingredients you can swap and add extra:
Protein: You can add any of your favourite minced (ground) meat or seafood like prawn, crab meat, etc. For vegetarian options, mashed firm tofu, mushroom, or Quorn mince goes well in the fillings.
Vegetables: Green cabbage, napa cabbage ( Chinese Cabbage ), or sweetheart cabbage, and spring (green) onions are ideal cabbage to use in dumplings. Tips: Sprinkle some salt over the chopped cabbage and squeeze the excess water out. Excess moisture in the fillings can tear the wrapper apart when you deep fry or steam it.
If you wish to add more vegetables in the fillings, finely shredded carrot, finely chopped dried or fresh shiitake mushroom, and Chinese chives perfectly go well.
Simple steps to make crispy chicken dumplings:
Finely chop the cabbage, sprinkle some salt, mix well, and set aside for 15-20 mins.
Finely chop the spring onions.
Now squeeze all the liquid out from the cabbage and set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, place the minced chicken, cabbage, spring onions. Season the fillings with soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger paste, garlic paste, cornstarch, salt, and black pepper to taste. Mix well to combine all the ingredients evenly.
I use gyoza wrappers ( Imperial Dragon brand ), which I can easily buy at Chinese grocery stores in the UK. You can either use dumpling wrappers, gyoza wrappers, or wonton wrappers for this recipe.
To fold the dumpling, place one wrapper in the palm, wet the wrapper edges with water. Add a teaspoon full of fillings to the center of the wrapper. Fold the wrapper in half over the filling, pinch on the left edge, make a pleat on the top part of the wrapper from left to right.
Use a non-dominant thumb and finger to press the pleat and bottom wrapper together to seal the dumpling. Pinch at the end of the right edge and seal the dumpling. Repeat to all wrappers till all the filling runs out. ( You can get 25-30 dumplings with this amount of filling. )
Pre-heat the oil to 330-340 F, deep fry the dumplings for 2-3 mins till crispy golden brown.
Transfer to a cooling rack or paper towel first. Serve immediately with your favourite dipping sauce.
Dumplings Dipping Sauce
These chicken dumplings perfectly go well with most Asian dipping sauces. I usually love to serve to sweet chilli sauce, hot chilli sauce, or Thai Sriracha sauce.
To make a quick homemade soy sauce dipping sauce, add the same ratio of soy sauce, vinegar and sugar in a bowl. Add a bit of chilli oil if you like it spicy. Check out details recipe at my Crispy Wonton Recipe.
Watch how to make crispy dumplings recipe video
If you enjoy our recipe, please leave a comment and give us a rating! If you've tried this recipe, tag me on social medias, I would love to see your creations! Follow me on social medias Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for latest updates.
Crispy Deep Fried Dumpling
- 25-30 sheets Dumpling / gyoza wrappers 25-30 sheets
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 4 tbsp Water 4 tbsp
- 220 g Chicken mince
- 150 g Chinese/Sweetheart cabbage
- 100 g Spring onions
- ½ tsp Garlic paste
- ½ tsp Ginger paste
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- 1 tsp Soy sauce
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Black pepper
- 1 tsp Corn/potato flour
- Finely chop the cabbage, put in a bowl, sprinkle some salt, mix well and set aside for 15 mins. Squeeze all the liquid out from the cabbage set aside.
- Finely chop the spring onions.
- In a large mixing bowl add the minced chicken, cabbage, spring onions and all the ingredients from the seasonings list.
- Mix all the ingredients well.
- To make the dipping sauce, mix all ingredients from the dipping sauce list in a small mixing bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- To fold the dumpling, place one wrapper in the palm, wet the wrapper edges with water. Add a teaspoon full of fillings in the centre of the wrapper. Fold the wrapper in half over the filling, pinch on the left edge, make a pleat on top part of the wrapper from left to right. Use a non-dominant thumb and finger to press the pleat and bottom wrapper together to seal the dumpling. Pinch at the end of the right edge and seal the dumpling. Repeat to all wrappers till all the filling runs out. ( You can get 25-30 dumplings with this amount of filling. )
- Pre-heat the oil into 330°-340° F, deep fry the dumplings for 2-3 mins till crispy golden brown.
- Transfer to a cooling rack or paper towel first.
- Serve immediately with your favourite sweet/spicy chilli dipping sauce.
- Crispy dumplings are ready! Enjoy!