Chicken and Rice Noodle Stir Fry is a perfect combination of tender chicken slices, rice noodles, and colourful crisp vegetables. You can add any protein or vegetables and make it your own in less than 30 minutes. Perfect as a quick lunch or light dinner!
What I love about this noodle dish is, I can add any stir fry vegetables left in my fridge. And also the seasonings are simple everyday ingredients, very light and satisfying. As everything is cook in one pan, cleaning up time is super quick. Plus, the taste is tastier and healthier than regular takeout.
Grew up as an Asian, we can have noodle dish in breakfast, lunch, dinner, supper, snack or any time of the day. We even packed noodles for picnics and road trips. As I was never satisfied and enough with sandwiches or burgers, my mom used to make this chicken and rice noodles packed in bento boxes when we went to parks and zoo on weekends and holidays.
What is Rice Vermicelli Noodles?
Rice vermicelli noodles are also known as Beehoon, Mai Fun, or Meehoon, you can add in your stir-fries and soups. Made with rice flour and thin, white, round, thin, string texture. You can buy in most Oriental grocery stores and supermarket Asian aisles. A very popular noodle dish across China and Southeast Asian countries like Thailand, Singapore, Malaysia, Burma, Vietnam, etc. But in Western countries like the UK and USA, it’s known as Singapore Noodles and has a curry flavour in it.
Ingredients you will need :
I use rice vermicelli noodles for this recipe, as it can be easily buy in any supermarkets and grocery stores across UK. You can substitute with any noodles packets left in your pantry, glass noodles, flat rice noodles or even egg noodles goes well too.
My tips to prepare vermicelli noodles: Sometimes the vermicelli noodles broke apart if you prepare by the packet instructions. So, I don’t always follow the packet instructions. I usually soak the noodles in warm water for 4-5 mins and drain the water out.
Most stir fry vegetables like cabbage, carrot, onion, bell pepper, mushroom, bean sprouts or green beans go well for this dish. Feel free to use any of your favourite stir fry vegetables. My tips is not to dump all vegetables straight to the wok, add the hard vegetables first and later the soft ones. Sometimes I use mix stir-fry vegetable packet on my cheat cooking days and busy weeknights.
I use chicken breast slices for this recipe, but you can add chicken thigh, prawns, beef, or any protein you wish. Season with a splash of soy sauce, sesame oil, and white pepper. That’s it! If you prefer to make with beef, use tender beef steak cut like ribeye, rump, sirloin, or tenderloin cut for this recipe.
Stir Fry Sauce :
You need only 3 simple sauces, light soy sauce, oyster sauce, and dark soy sauce. Add sesame oil and white or black pepper to bring more flavour to the dish. This is a Chinese style basic stir-fry sauce you can add to any of your noodles, rice, or stir fry meat and vegetable dishes. You can make an extra sauce mixture and place it in an air-tight container and keep it in the fridge. Use it in your busy weeknight stir-fries!
For vegetarians, you can substitute meat with firm tofu. Cut tofu in small cubes, saute` in a pan until crispy brown coating and ready to add in your stir fry. Use vegetarian oyster sauce, mushroom sauce, or vegetable stock instead of oyster sauce. As this dish is packed with loads of colourful vegetables, it’s so appetizing and filling without any meat. I used to make with dry shiitake mushroom and tofu for the days that I don’t want to eat much meat and seafood.
Watch recipe video how to make it
Chicken and Rice Noodles Stir Fry
- 150 g (5.5 oz) Chicken breast or thigh
- 120 g (4.5 oz) Rice vermicelli noodles ( dry )
- 1 Small carrot ( Julienne )
- ½ Onion ( thin sliced )
- 10-12 Green beans ( cut half )
- 2-3 Spring onions ( cut 2" pieces )
- 2-3 tbsp Vegetable oil
Stir Fry Sauce
- 2 tbsp Light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Oyster sauce
- 1 tsp Dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- ¼ tsp White pepper
- 1 tbsp Light soy sauce
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- ¼ tsp White pepper
- First of all, soak the rice noodles in warm water for 4-5 minutes. Drain the water out and set aside.
- Cut the chicken in thin slices. Marinate with soy sauce, sesame oil and white pepper. Set aside and marinate for few minutes.
- Prepare the vegetables by but the onion, spring onions and chilli pepper into thin slices. Julienne the carrot and cut the green beans into half.
- Heat the wok or skillet into medium-high heat, drizzle 2 tablespoon of oil. Add chicken slices and stir fry for 1-2 minutes until the chicken is cook through.
- Then add the green beans, carrots and onion slices, continue stir fry for another 1 minute. Add the noodles in the wok and pour the stir fry sauce mix in. Toss well and continue cook for another 1 min. ( toss gently to prevent the noodles from breaking. )
- Add the spring onions and stir well to combine all ingredients evenly.
- Garnish with extra chopped spring onions and serve immediately! Enjoy!