“Chicken in black bean sauce” is a classic Chinese restaurant dish but can you can simply try it by yourself at home in less than 30 minutes. Perfect combination of tender chicken slices, fresh vegetables and flavourful homemade black bean sauce.
Although it’s assumed as well-known Chinese favourite dish originated from China, it’s now widely available at many restaurants around the world even in the US & UK. So it means that not only Chinese people, but also worldwide people love it.
I love this dish very much because it’s really easy to make and the distinct flavour of black bean flavour is such a temptation and mouth watering. My whole family loves too…it’s my hubby’s thumb up and my choosy little boy’s favourite dish, I’m sure! (You can cook without putting any chilies for kids too). Yes, we make it quite often at home and sometimes, my friends and neighbours join us, making a full table.
Ingredients you need
Black Bean Sauce :
If you haven’t or barely tasted Chinese fermented black beans, it’s time to!!
Black bean sauce is a key condiment of this dish and its made from fermented black soybeans. This sauce has a pungent, sweet and savoury umami flavour. Addition of garlic, ginger, sugar, soy sauce and warming spices inside, all of them make it taste stronger. You can use this black bean sauce not only for this particular dish but also for other stir fry dishes like Pepper Steak Stir Fry, Spicy Tofu Stir Fry, Beef and Noodles Stir Fry, etc.
Substitute for black bean sauce – Sichuan Chilli Bean Paste ( Doubanjiang ) or finely chopped fermented black beans are perfect substitute of black bean sauce for this recipe.
Where to buy Black Bean Sauce? – You can buy in most Oriental/Chinese supermarkets or Amazon online.
You can simply use tender boneless chicken breast or thigh meats. But instead you can substitute with beef, lamb, fish fillets, prawns or seafood if you’re bored with chicken already!
Of course you can put other veggies choices beside the mentioned ones in the recipe. Snow peas, green beans, carrots, mushrooms, can be good idea for your delight. You can even put sliced little red chilies if you’re a spicy lover, so that it’ll be ”Spicy Chicken in Black Bean Sauce” dish then. The fragrant of this dish will be so hard to resist.
Stir Fry Sauce :
You can make homemade stir fry sauce by yourself easily with only two simple ingredients, soy sauce and oyster sauce. To thicken the gravy add a bit corn starch and water mixture. That’s it!
How To Serve This Dish
Perfectly match with a simple bowl of steamed rice, fried rice or stir fried noodle. Or it can be accompanied with Hot and Sour Soup, Beef Chow Fun, Vermicelli Stir Fry or other various Chinese or Asian cuisine you wish . As for your drink, you can choose Chinese tea or Jasmine tea which may sound good. Because drinking hot tea while having this particular dish may make your appetite stronger.
How to Make Chicken in Black Bean Sauce
Here are some easy steps to cook.
Slice the chicken into thin slices. Marinate the chicken slices with soy sauce, sesame oil, corn starch and baking soda. Mix well, set aside for at least 15 mins.
Finely chop the garlic cloves. Cut the onion and bell pepper into thin slices.
In a small bowl, mix soy sauce, oyster sauce, corn starch and water. Mix well and set aside.
Heat the pan/skillet into high heat, add the chicken slices, sear it for 2 mins and turn sides. Continue cook for another 1 minute until the chicken is cook through. Remove from the pan and set aside.
In the remaining oil in the pan, stir fry the garlic for a few seconds. Then follow with the black bean paste.
Add the onion slices and stir for a few seconds. Add pepper slices and chicken slices back in the pan.
Pour the sauce mixture in. Mix all the ingredients well with the sauce until well combined. Stir fry for about 1-2 mins until the sauce becomes thick and glossy.
After all…delicious ”chicken in black bean sauce” is ready to be served.
Here, we’ve only final step is… Let’s Enjoy!
Watch Video Instructions How to Make It
Chicken in Black Bean Sauce
- 300 g Boneless chicken thigh/breast
- ½ Large sweet onion
- 3 cloves Garlic
- ½ Bell pepper yellow
- ½ Bell pepper green
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- ½ tbsp Black Bean Paste (see recipe note for details)
- 1 tsp Soy sauce
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- 1 tsp Potato/corn flour ( starch )
- ½ tsp Baking soda
Stir Fry Sauce
- ½ tbsp Soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Oyster sauce
- 3 tbsp Water
- ½ tsp Corn starch(flour)
- Slice the chicken into thin slices. Put the sliced slices into a mixing bowl and add ingredients from chicken marinade. Mix well, set aside and marinate at least 15 mins.
- Finely chop the garlic. Cut the onion and bell pepper into thin slices.
- In a small bowl, mix all the stir fry sauce ingredients. Set aside.
- Heat the pan into high heat, add the marinated chicken, flatten and spread the chicken in the pan. Let it sear the beef for 2 mins till the chicken gets a nice colour and turn side and stir fry for another 1 minute. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the remaining oil in the pan, stir fry the garlic for a few seconds. Then add the black bean paste. Then add the onion slices and stir for a few seconds. Add pepper slices, add chicken slices back in the pan.
- Pour the sauce mixture in. Mix all the ingredients well with the sauce until well combined. Stir fry for about 1-2 mins until the sauce becomes thick and glossy.
- Transfer to serving plate. Serve immediately.
- Perfect with a bowl of steamed rice or stir fry noodle.
- I’ve used Lee Kum Kee Black Bean in Garlic sauce in this recipe. You can use any black bean paste or sauce available at your stores.
- Black bean sauce is made from fermented soybeans and it has a salty, sharp, a bit bitter and umami savoury taste. ( Need very few amount to use. )
- Black bean sauce substitute is fermented black beans or Chilli Bean Sauce. ( Finely chopped )
- You can buy black bean sauce(paste) at most Oriental supermarkets.
If you’ve tried this recipe, please leave a comment and give rating! I would love to see your creations, tag me on social medias and follow me on social medias Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for latest updates.