Quick and Easy Chinese Chicken and Sweetcorn Soup recipe made with simple cupboard-friendly ingredients. You can create this creamy, rich, healthy sweetcorn soup in 20 minutes with minimum effort! Faster, healthier, and tastier than ordering from takeaways.
This soup is one of our family's go-to recipes that everyone loves. My mom used to make this soup for us with crab meat and prawns when we were in Rangoon. In Burma, seafood was very fresh and a lot cheaper than in the UK. In this recipe, I made it with chicken and sweetcorn, which you can easily get at any local supermarket and grocery store.
If you haven't tried this Chinese-style chicken and sweetcorn soup, I highly recommend trying it at home! You will be amazed by how quick and delicious this hearty soup turns out.
Why you will love this soup
- This is a quick and easy recipe. It takes only 20 minutes to prepare.
- Made with simple pantry, fridge and freezer-friendly ingredients.
- Hearty, satisfying, filling, plus budget-friendly too!
- Nutritious soup that both kids and adults can enjoy.
Ingredients you will need
Protein: I use chicken breast in this recipe, chicken thigh, prawns/shrimp, crab meat, any seafood or cooked chicken goes well too. Cut the chicken into small dice or thin slices.
Egg: You will need two beaten egg to create the silky egg ribbons in the soup. Pour the egg slowly when the soup starts to thick and stir gently in a circular motion to achieve the silky egg drops.
Sweetcorn ( Corn Kernels ): I love to add fresh sweetcorns, tin or frozen works well too. You will need to add both mashed and whole sweetcorn seeds. If you use frozen corns, place them in a strainer under running water until thawed, then drain the water out.
Vegetables: Small dices of carrots and finely chopped spring onions are ideal for this soup. A good bowl of soup is all about simplicity, you don't need to add loads of other vegetables.
The Soup Broth: Add homemade chicken stock/broth, vegetable stock or store-bought chicken stock/broth as a soup base.
If you don't have chicken broth in hand, you can add water with chicken bouillon or chicken stock cubes ( without Italian herbs and seasonings. )
Cornstarch slurry: Add corn starch and water mixture to create a thick silky texture.
Seasonings: Simply season with chopped garlic, sesame oil, white pepper, and salt to taste.
How To Make Chicken and Sweetcorn Soup
- First, prepare and gather all ingredients. Mash half cup of sweetcorn by finely chop it or blend it with a blender. Cut the chicken breast into small dices, whisk the eggs with a pinch of slat, and cut spring onions into thin slices.
- Add chicken stock/broth into the pot and bring it to boil with medium heat, then add chopped garlic and chicken. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Follow with the carrots, sweetcorns seeds, and mashed sweetcorns. Close the lid and simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Mix corn starch with 4 tablespoons of water in a small bowl and stir it in the soup.
- Next pour the whisked egg gently with one hand and stiring with another hand in a circular motion.
- Season with salt, white pepper, and sesame oil.
- Turn off the heat and add spring onions. Transfer to serving bowl and garnish with extra spring onion.
Frequently asked questions
You can simply serve it on its own as a starter or have it as a side. Pair it with Singapore Fried Rice, Prawn Chow Mein, Honey Chilli Chicken, or any of your favourite main dishes and create a wholesome Chinese dinner.
This soup tastes best to serve straight away. Do not recommend freezing but you can store it in an air-tight container in the fridge for a couple of days.
Yes, you can reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave until piping hot just before serving. If the soup is too thick, you can add a splash of water. If the soup is not thick enough, you can add a bit of corn starch slurry to your desire consistency and bring it to boil.
More Delicious Soup Recipes
Stay updated on new recipes:
We are on social media Facebook, Instagram, YouTube ( New recipe video every week ), and Pinterest ( Pin your favourite recipes ). If you've tried this recipe, please share your comment or post on social media and tag me. I would love to see your creations and feedback.
Chicken and Sweetcorn Soup
- 100 g Boneless chicken thigh/breast about 3.5oz ( cut small dices )
- 4 cup Chicken stock/broth about 950 ml ( or Vegetable stock/broth ) see details in note
- ½ cup Sweetcorn about 60 g( frozen, tin or fresh)
- ½ cup Sweetcorn about 60 g ( mashed )
- ½ Carrot cut small cubes
- 1 tsp Garlic fine chopped
- 1-2 eggs whisked
- 2 tbsp Corn starch or potato starch
- 4 tbsp Water about ¼ cup
- ½ tsp Salt ( or salt to taste ) adjust salt depend on the chicken stock that you use.
- ¼ tsp White pepper Or black pepper
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- First cut the chicken and carrot into small dices. Finely chop the garlic cloves and mash ½ cup of sweet corn with a knife or blender. Cut spring onions into thin slices and set it aside.
- In a medium pot, pour the chicken stock in, bring it boil with medium heat.
- Add the chopped garlic and chicken pieces stir well and boil for 1-2 minutes, Then follow with the carrot cubes, sweet corns, and mashed sweet corn. Close the lid the simmer for 5-6 minutes.
- Combine 2 tbsp of corn starch with 4 tbsp water in a small bowl. Beat 2 eggs and season with a sprinkle of salt.
- Pour the corn starch water in and stir well. When the soup start to get thicken, pour the egg slowly and stir gently in the same circular direction. Season with salt, white pepper and sesame oil. Turn off the heat and add chopped spring onions.
- Make a taste test and add more salt or pepper according to your taste.
- Transfer to serving bowl and garnish with chopped spring onions.
- You can serve up to 4 persons as a side. Enjoy!
- If you use frozen sweetcorns, defrost the sweetcorns by rinsing in the running water and drain the water out.
- As this is a quick and easy recipe, I used pre-made chicken stock. You can either use homemade chicken stock/broth or store-bought chicken stock. If you cannot get it at your local stores, you can add water and 1 cube of chicken stock or bouillon powder about 10 g.
- Ingredients variations: You can swap chicken with prawns/shrimp or crab meat.
- To make it vegetarian, skip the chicken and add mushrooms or tofu instead. Swap chicken stock with vegetable stock.