Korean Fried Chicken Wings - Finger licking good wings recipe!
These sweet, spicy and savoury spicy Korean fried chicken wings are perfect for appetizer or as a main meal for all occasions. It's so easy to make at home and incredibly delicious!
Who doesn't love crispy spicy wings? If you are quite bored of the regular fried chicken wing recipe, it's time to try out this spicy-kick wings recipe. We've tried and tested these wings for few times and it becomes our family's favourite. One of the easiest and most delicious Asian wings that all our family members love.
Here is more of our family’s favourite Korean dishes you might love :
- Japchae Vegan ( Classic Korean sweet potato noodles dish with colourful crisp vegetables. )
- Korean Spicy Chicken ( Korean fried chicken with chicken breast. )
- Spicy Korean Beef ( Spicy, sweet, savoury Korean beef recipe. )
- Korean Beef Bowl ( Ground beef Korean style! )
2 Simple Tips To Achieve Perfect Crispy Wings
1. Crispy Coating
As Korean fried chicken powder mix is not available in our local Asian grocery, we tried to make it at our home. This homemade powder mix is super simple and the coating stays crispy even after you tossed with the sauce. You will need two simple ingredients to make these, airy, crispy, no greasy fried chicken wings.
Corn starch and Plain Flour: Mix corn starch or potato starch and plain flour. Adding corn starch will keep the coating crispy and plain flour creates the fluffy batter that doesn’t tear apart.
2. Double Frying
Another key to get crispy coating is to double fry the wings. Deep fry the wings in high heat and let it sit for few minutes and fry them again until golden brown in hot oil to get the perfect crispy crust.
It’s crucial to fry with the high temperature oil to prevent the wings from greasy and soggy texture. Temperature should be around 350 F. You can test with a food thermometer or a wooden chopstick. If the oil bubbles are fizzing fast and steadily, its ready to fry.
Can I bake them? Yes, you can. Spray cooking oil on both sides of coated wings, bake in preheated oven or in the air fryer with 400˚F for about 45 minutes until crispy golden brown. Flip halfway through.
Korean Fried Chicken Sauce With Gochujang
To make this homemade fried chicken wings sauce you will need Korean chilli pepper paste gochujang and few other simple ingredients. The taste is spicy, tangy, and sweet at the same time. You can adjust the amount of gochujang chilli paste and replace it with mild chilli sauce or tomato ketchup according to your preference.
Add this sauce to different seafood or protein and it even tastes great with fried tofu. You can make a large batch of this sauce and store it in an air-tight container. It will last in the fridge for a couple of weeks.
How To Make Korean Fried Chicken Wings
Place the chicken wings in a large mixing bowl, add salt, black pepper, baking soda, and garlic paste. Mix all the ingredients and rub it on chicken wings well. Set aside and marinate for at least 5-30 mins. Or you can leave it overnight in the fridge with an air-tight container.
Roughly chop the garlic cloves. Prepare the wing sauce by mixing honey, ketchup, gochujang and lime juice in a bowl and set aside.
Mix potato/corn starch and plain flour in a bowl and dredge the marinated wings.
Coat and press each chicken wings with flour mixture to separate and toss the excess flour out before frying.
Heat the oil into high heat about 350° F. Deep fry the coated wings for 2-3 mins until chicken starts floating on the oil. Remove from oil and set aside for 1-2 mins.
Then reheat the oil to high heat and deep fry the wings until the colour changed into crispy golden brown. ( Double frying makes the wings more crunchy. )
Transfer the wings from the oil and set aside on the cooling rack to maintain their crispiness.
Heat a pan, drizzle 1 tbsp of oil add the garlic, and stir for 1-2 mins, then pour the wing sauce mix. Lower the heat and continue to stir for few seconds.
Once the sauce starts to get thick, turn off the heat and add the fried wings. Toss the wings to combine with the sauce evenly. Transfer to a serving plate and garnish with toasted sesame seeds and Korean chilli powder. Delicious Spicy Korean wings are ready! Enjoy!
Watch How To Make Spicy Korean Fried Chicken Wings Recipe Video :
If you enjoy our recipe, please leave a comment and give us a rating! If you’ve tried this recipe, tag me on social media, I would love to see your creations! Follow me on social media Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for the latest updates.
Korean Fried Chicken Wings
- 400 g Chicken wings ( about 14 oz )
- 1 cup Potato starch Or Corn starch
- ⅓ cup Plain flour Or All purpose flour
- 2 cloves Garlic
- Vegetable oil for frying
Marinate for Chicken
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black pepper
- ¼ tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Garlic paste
- 2 tbsp Honey
- 2 tbsp Ketchup
- 1½ tbsp Gochujang Korean Chilli Paste
- 1 tsp Lime juice
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Korean chilli powder/chilli flakes (optional)
- Put chicken wings in a large bowl, add salt, black pepper, baking soda and garlic paste.
- Mix all the ingredients and rub it to chicken wings well. Set aside and marinate for 15-30 mins.
- Roughly chop the garlic.
- Mix all ingredients from the wing sauce list in a bowl and set aside.
- Mix potato starch and plain flour in a bowl and add the marinated wings. Coat the chicken wings well and toss the excess flour out before frying.
- Heat the oil into high heat about 350° F. Add the coated wings and deep fry for 2-3 mins till chicken start floating on the oil. Remove from oil and set aside for 1-2 mins.
- Then reheat the oil to high heat and deep fry the wings again until the colour changed into nice golden brown. ( Double frying make the wings more crunchy.)
- Transfer the wings from the oil and set aside on the cooling rack.
- Heat a pan, drizzle 1 tbsp of oil add the garlic and stir for 1-2 mins, then add the wing sauce mix. Lower the heat and stir for 1 min.
- Turn off the heat and add the fried wings and combine the wings and sauce evenly.
- Transfer to serving plate and garnish with toasted sesame seeds and Korean chilli powder.
- Delicious Spicy Korean wings are ready! Enjoy!