Stir fry Glass noodle | Japchae is a balanced combination of glass noodles, crunchy colourful vegetables and simple seasonings. Incredibly easy to make at home with minimum efforts. Perfect as a quick lunch or light dinner.
One of the reasons I like Japchae personally is, I get the refreshing taste of mixed vegetables, juicy meat and sweet, chewy glass noodles altogether in one bite. It's healthy and diet friendly too.
What is Japchae
From ancient times to the present, Japchae is one of the most popular and mandatory dishes prepared and served during the Korean Festivals and Traditional Ceremonies. Since it is easy to be made and tastes flavourful, Korean people love to enjoy it often on their usual days as well. It's popular not just in Korea but loved by many people across the world for the healthy amount of vegetables and meat it includes.
Why Japchae is So Popular
- Crowd Pleasing : For its colourful ingredients and glassy beautiful noodles, Japchae is suitable to be served at your family gatherings and parties as well. You can show your talent in an easiest possible way while keeping the guests happy the same time with this delicious traditional Asian dish.
- Versatile : You can customise your own style of Japchae by adding any vegetables and protein of your choice. You can use chicken, beef steak or prawns.
- Light and Healthy : Japchae is quite a healthy noodle dish as glass noodles are very low in calories, and the dish is packed with loads of vegetables. Seasoned with simple everyday ingredients, soy sauce, sesame oil and sugar. The taste is so light and satisfying.
How to Make Glass Noodle Stir Fry | Japchae
The most traditional and authentic way to prepare Japchae is to cook each ingredients separately and stir them all together after. It can be served cold or warm. But here, I have prepared it in a quick, easy and time saving way for rush days, so I just mix the ingredients one after another in an order in the same frying pan. You can set aside each ingredient separately in bowls after cooking and mix all of them together later when serving if you have good amount of time for preparation. I explained the steps with the pictures below.
Step by Step Photo Instructions :
First of all , cut chicken into thin strips. Mix with a teaspoon of light soy sauce and let it marinate for few minutes. ( I used chicken thigh in this recipe, you can use chicken, beef steak, prawns or any protein of your choice. )
Soak glass noodles in warm water for 8 to 10 mins, drain the water out.
( Korean Japchae glass noodle is made from sweet potato starch, thick and chewy. If you cannot find Japchae glass noodles, you can use any glass noodles available at your local stores. )
Soak the shiitake mushroom in warm water for 30 mins. Gently squeeze the excess water out and cut into thin slices.
Julienne the carrot. Cut mushroom, bell pepper, onion and garlic into thin slices. Cut spring onions into 1" pieces.
Beat 2 eggs and fry in a pan with a tablespoon oil. Set aside, let it cool down for few minutes and cut into thin slices.
Heat the pan into medium high heat, drizzle two tablespoon of oil. Add the garlic slices and stir for few seconds, then follow with the chicken slices .
Stir in shiitake and white mushroom slices and continue cook for 1 min. Follow with carrot and pepper slices.
Add the glass noodles, sauces and sugar in. Stir well and cook for 2-3 mins. (Add some warm water if needed. )
Turn of the heat, stir in the spring onions, toss well to combine all the ingredients. Make a taste test and season extra soy sauce or salt if needed.
Transfer to servings plate. Topped with egg slices and toasted sesame seeds.
Delicious Glass Noodle stir fry is ready. Enjoy!
Watch the recipe video
- 150 g Glass noodle
- 150 g Boneless chicken thigh/breast
- 1 tsp Light soy sauce for chicken marinate
- 2 Eggs
- 2-3 White mushroom
- ½ Bell Pepper
- 1 Carrot
- ½ Onion
- 3-4 Dry Shitakae mushroom
- 3 Spring Onions
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2-3 tbsp Oil
Stir Fry Sauce
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp Dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- Cut chicken into thin strips. Marinate with light soy sauce and set aside.
- Soak the glass noodles in warm water for 8 to 10 mins and strain it.
- Cut mushroom, pepper, shiitake mushroom and onion into thin slices. Julienne the carrot and cut garlic into thin slices. Cut spring onions into 1" pieces.
- Beat 2 eggs and fry in a pan with 1 Tbsp oil. Set aside to cool down and cut into thin slices.
- Add 2 tbsp oil in to frying pan, add garlic and stir for few seconds then all the chicken strips and stir fry until the chicken change into nice colour.
- Add shiitake mushroom and white mushroom and stir well , then follow by julienne carrots, peppers stir fry for 1 min.
- Add the soaked glass noodles then add all the ingredients from the stir fry sauce list, stir fry for 2-3 mins.
- Add the cut spring onions and mix all the ingredients well and stir for 1-2 mins. (Add some warm water if needed.)
- Transfer to servings plate. Topped with egg slices and toasted sesame seeds. Delicious Glass Noodle stir fry is ready. Enjoy!
- Original Korean Japchae glass noodle is made from Korean sweet potato starch. A bit more thick and chewy then regular cellophane noodles. If you cannot find Korean Japchae glass noodles, you can use any glass noodles available at your local stores.
To make a wholesome family dinner you can serve this dish with :