Rice noodles, super tender beef, and flavourful beef bone broth, topped with fresh crisp veggies and chilli slices. This Chinese Beef Noodle Soup is the ultimate comfort soup for all year round!
One of the best Asian beef noodle soup recipe that you can make the stock/broth from scratch without much hassle. This soup is nutritious, filling, and easy to make at home.
If you love the rich flavour beef soup like Vietnamese Pho Noodle and Thai Beef Noodle soup, you will definitely love this Chinese Beef Broth soup recipe. The taste is very similar in general but the herbs and spices are slightly different. We make this slow braised beef noodle soup whenever we have beef bones at home. Recommend to use beef with bones instead of using only meat to boost the big flavour of the soup broth.
How To Make Beef Broth
When it comes to beef broth, homemade beef bone broth is the best! Taste way better then, any store-bought ones. Every family and restaurant chef has their own version of it and this is our version of Chinese-style beef broth with simple herbs and spices. You can either brown the beef and bones or boil it straight away. In this recipe I’m boiling the beef with low heat without browning first.
What type of beef is best for Chinese Beef Broth?
We usually love to make with beef shank with bones, knuckle bones, marrow bones or any meaty bones. If you prefer to have more meat in your soup, add extra meat. You don’t need to use pricy cuts, even the cheap cuts works well for this recipe. As the slow braising method will brings the juicy tender result.
Here is the Simple Steps to make it.
- Blanch the beef bones with hot boiling water.
- Slow braised the beef with herbs and spices.
- Strain all the beef bones and ingredients out from the broth.
- Reserve the beef for later use and discard the bones and herbs.
- Season the soup broth with salt and pepper.
- Serve with your favourite noodles and topped with crisp vegetables.
Here is more of our family’s favourite Best Chinese Noodles Recipes you might want to try out:
- Wonton Noodle Soup
- Soy Sauce Chicken Noodles
- Beef and Noodles Stir Fry
- Braised Chicken Noodle
- Rice Noodle Stir-Fry (Chicken Chow Fun)
If you enjoy our recipe, please leave a comment and give us a rating! If you’ve tried this recipe, tag me on social media, I would love to see your creations! Follow me on social media Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for the latest updates.
Chinese Beef Noodle Soup
- 2 kg Beef with Bones ( beef shank with bone or any meaty bones ) about 4.5lb
- 2 thumb Ginger sliced
- 1 bulb Garlic
- 3 Spring Onion ( white part of spring onion Or one onion)
- 3 Star anise
- 3 Bay leaves
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp Black pepper ( whole black pepper or powder )
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 3 tbsp Soy sauce
- 5 g Beef stock cube ( ½ or 1 Beef bouillon stock cube ) optional
- 1 tsp Salt ( add more or less salt according to preference )
- 3 litre Water for broth
- 3 litre Water for blanching
- 100 g Dried rice noodles ( pre-soaked in water for 1 hour )
- Coriander ( chopped )
- Bean sprouts blanched
- Fresh chilli ( sliced )
- Lime wedges
Blanch The Beef
- First blanch the beef to remove the impurities from the bones. Fill the large pot with water about 3 litre, bring it to boil and place the beef. Boil for 6-8 minutes then drain all the water out. Rinse the beef bones with cold running water. ( Water should be cover the beef bones. )
- Place the beef back in the large pot, fill about 3 litre cold water. Add ginger, garlic, spring onions, cinnamon, star anise, bay leaves, soy sauce, sugar, beef stock cube and black pepper. Bring it to boil, once it start boiling, turn down the heat, close the lid and simmer with low-medium heat for 1.5 to 2 hours, until the beef is tender.
- Once the beef is tender, strain the beef, bones and herbs out from the broth. Discard the beef bones and herbs. Cut the meat into small bite size pieces and set it aside.
- To season the beef broth, make a taste test and add salt and black pepper powder. Keep it warm. ( If the soup broth is too thick, you can add a bit more water according to your desire consistency. )
- Boil the pre-soaked rice noodles in the hot boiling water for 1-2 minutes until soften. ( Or boil according to the packet instructions. ) Then blanch the bean sprouts for few seconds.
- Place the noodles in the serving bowl pour the beef broth in. Topped with beef pieces, blanched bean spouts, chilli slices, chopped coriander and lime wedges.
- How to serve – It taste best to serve straight away while the beef broth is hot. Once it is cool down it can be changed into jelly like texture because of the gelatine from the beef bones.
- How to store – You can store the left over beef stock in an clean air-tight jar or container. It usually last for up to 1 week in a fridge and up to 1 month in an freezer.
- How to reheat broth – Reheat on the stove or in microwave piping hot just before serving.
- Noodles to serve – You can serve with rice noodles, egg, wheat, or udon noodles of your choice. Blanch or boil the noodles just before serving with the beef broth.
- Toppings – Customize the toppings by adding any of your favourite blanched or fresh vegetables, fresh chillies or chilli oil.