Cumin Beef Stir Fry is a perfect combination of succulent beef slices, aromatic cumin, dry chillies and fresh crisp vegetables. This is one of my go-to stir fry dish and all family members love it. Super quick and easy stir fry beef you can prepare in less than 30 minutes.
What is Cumin Beef?
This dish is originated in Hunan province of China, created with beef slices, loads of fresh chilli peppers, vegetables and cumin fragrant. Cooking method can be varies depend on the region. In Western Chinese restaurants this dish is usually made less spicy with beef slices, cumin, bell pepper, onions and chilli oil.
This is my version of Hunan-Style Cumin Beef Stir fry and I hope you enjoy it too. Simply delicious and you can make this mouth watering dish with the everyday basic ingredients. If you try this recipe at home, let me know how it turns out.
- Beef: I usually like to make this dish with rib eye or sirloin steak but you can use any of your choice of tender steak cut. Cut the beef into very thin slices against the grain. Add a little bit of baking soda in beef marinade to keeps the moist and tender result when you stir fry it. This dish goes well with lamb and chicken too.
- Spice: Cumin spice is rarely use in Chinese cooking, but in this Hunan Chinese style dish, both cumin seeds and powder are added. If you don't like cumin seeds you can omit it. You can find cumin seeds and powder in most Asian grocery stores and supermarket Asian aisle. ( Cumin is also called Jeera/Zeera )
- Vegetables: In original Hunan style cumin beef , fresh and dry hot chilli peppers are added. If you are a spicy food lover, you can add hot chilli pepper instead of bell pepper. You can also add any extra vegetables such as carrot, snow peas, spring onions etc.
Cumin Beef Stir Fry
- 300 g Beef steak ( rib eye or sirloin )
- ½ Sweet Onion ( sliced )
- ½ Red bell pepper ( sliced )
- ½ Green bell pepper ( sliced )
- 4-5 Dry red chillies ( cut half and deseeded ) (adjust chilli amount according to your taste)
- 2 cloves Garlic ( thin sliced )
- 1 tsp Ginger ( fine chopped )
- ½ tsp Cumin seeds
- 2-3 tbsp Vegetable oil ( Sunflower, peanut, canola or any neutral flavoured oil )
- 1 tbsp Light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Oyster sauce
- 1 tsp Vegetable oil
- ¼ tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Corn flour ( starch )
- 1 tbsp Water
- ½ tsp Cumin powder
- Black Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- First, cut the beef into thin slices. ( To achieve the tender slices, cut the beef against the grain. )
- In a mixing bowl add the beef slices and marinade ingredients, mix well and marinate for at least 15 minutes.
- Finely chop the ginger and cut all the vegetables into thin slices. Deseed and cut the dry red chillies into half.
- In a large wok or pan, add 2 tablespoon of vegetable oil, flatten and sear the marinated beef for 2-3 minutes. Flip and stir fry for another 2 minutes then remove from wok and set aside.
- In a clean wok or pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil into medium heat, add the dry chillies and stir for few seconds, follow with the garlic and cumin seeds. Stir for few seconds then add the onion and pepper slices.
- After few seconds, place the beef slices back in the wok. Sprinkle cumin powder, black pepper and salt to taste.
- Stir well to combine all ingredients evenly. Remove from wok and transfer to serving plate.
- Serve immediately with hot steamed rice! Enjoy!