Crispy salt and pepper beef, also known as ' crispy shredded beef ' is one of our family's favourite Chinese beef dish. Crispy deep fried beef steak tossed with restaurant style classic mix of salt, pepper, Chinese five spices and fresh crisp vegetables.Yum
Whenever we order salt and pepper dishes its never enough for me and the beef dishes are not very cheap when you order from the restaurants. So I tried to make at home few times and the taste turns out really nice. Super quick, easy, budget-friendly and the entire family members can enjoyed.
Learn how to make the beef strips crispy outside and moist and tender inside in this easy to follow recipe. I simplified the recipe so anyone can make at home without much hassle. You can always adjust the salt, spices and vegetables according to your taste and make it your own style crispy salt and pepper beef.
These beef strips are seriously addictive and perfect for anytime with Chinese tea, cold drink or beer.
Crispy Salt and Pepper Beef
- 300 g Beef steak ( ribeye, sirloin or any tender steak )
- 1 Egg
- 1 Cup Corn/potato flour ( starch )
- 2 cloves Garlic
- ½ Sweet onion
- ½ Bell Pepper
- 1 tbsp Light soy sauce
- 1 tsp Ginger paste
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- 1 tsp Sugar
- ¼ tsp Baking soda
Seasonings spice ingredients
- ½ tsp Salt ( or salt to taste )
- ½ tsp Black pepper powder
- ¼ tsp Chinese five spices powder ( see in note )
- ¼ tsp Chicken powder ( optional ) ( see in note )
- First of all cut the beef into thin strips. In a large bowl, mix the beef strips evenly with the beef marinate ingredients. Set aside and marinate for 15 minutes.
- Prepare the vegetables by cut the vegetables into thin slices.
- In a small bowl, mix all the seasoning ingredients evenly for later use.
- Break one egg in the marinated beef strips, mix it well.
- Coat each beef strips with corn flour. Make sure all beef strips are coated well and separated. Toss the excess flour out before frying.
- Heat the oil into high heat about 350° F. Add the beef strips and deep fry for1-2 minutes until the coating is crispy.
- Remove from oil and transfer to paper towel or cooling rack.
- Heat the wok/pan into medium high heat. Drizzle a tablespoon of oil, add the garlic slices and stir for 5 seconds, then add the onion and pepper slices. Toss for 1 min then all the beef strips back in. Sprinkle the seasoning spices and toss well for 1 minute to combine all ingredients.
- Transfer to serving plate and serve immediately!
- I usually have this dish with fried rice, steamed rice or stir fry noodles or just perfect on its own as a savoury snack.
- If you want to take exactly like the Chinese restaurants and takeaway you can add chicken powder in the seasoning but that is totally optional.
- Chinese five spices is a mixture of cinnamon, cloves, star anise, fennel seeds and Sichuan peppercorns powder. You can buy Chinese five spice in most Oriental/Chinese grocery stores.