Delicious Chinese Beef and Broccoli with juicy beef steak, tender broccoli, and simple homemade stir-fry sauce. Super fast and easy one-pan dish you can prepare in 20 minutes!
Stir fry dishes are a staple in our Asian households and most of the stir fry sauce base are very similar and it takes no time to make. Perfect weeknight dinner option for busy days or quick meal for any time of the day. You just need to prepare a bowl of simple cooked rice or noodle to serve together with.
Beef and broccoli is a one of the most popular American-Chinese dish and every restaurant and family has their own version of it. With this recipe, you can create your own restaurant style beef and broccoli at home with minimum effort. After you tried at home you won’t even need to order from take out again!
Simple ingredients you will need
Beef & the marinade
I mostly use tender steak cut for this recipe, like sirloin, tenderloin or rib-eye. Rump steak, chuck or flank steak goes well too. Simply season the steak slices with soy sauce, baking soda, sesame oil, sugar and corn starch .
Adding a bit of baking soda and corn starch in the marinade is a Chinese method of tenderizing meat. Also known as meat velveting. Which gives the steak slices moist and tender result when you stir fry with high heat
The key part is how to cut the beef? Always check the direction of the meat grain direction first, then slice it against the grain into thin slices.
You can either use broccoli head or tenderstem broccoli for this recipe. Most Chinese green vegetables like kai lan/ gai lan ( Chinese broccoli ), boy choy, pak choy, choy sum Chinese broccoli ( Kailan/Gai Lan ) goes well too.
Stir Fry Sauce
Essential sauce ingredients are light soy sauce, oyster sauce and rice vinegar. I add extra dark soy sauce to bring more colour and a bit of sugar to balance the sweet and savoury sauce.
You can use Shaoxing Chinese cooking rice wine instead of rice vinegar for more authentic Chinese flavour.
How to make it
Cut the beef steak into thin slices against.
Mix well with the ingredients in the beef marinade list. Set aside and marinate for 15-20 mins. Adding baking soda and corn flour in the marinate keeps the beef moist and tender. This method is called velveting in Chinese cooking.
Cut the tenderstem broccoli into 2″ pieces. I use Tenderstem broccoli in this recipe because It takes less time to cook and sweetness. If you can’t find tenderstem broccoli , you can use typical broccoli. It tastes still perfect.
Cut the ginger and garlic into thin slices.
Heat the pan into medium heat, drizzle 2 tbsp oil. Add the garlic and stir for few seconds then add the ginger slices and stir for few seconds.
Follow with the marinated beef and stir fry with medium high heat for 1-2 mins till the beef change into nice colour.
Then add the broccoli pieces and stir fry for few seconds.
Pour the sauce mix in and continue stir fry for 2-3 mins until all the ingredients and sauce combine together.
Add a teaspoon of sesame oil and stir well.
Delicious beef and broccoli is ready. Perfect with a bowl of steamed rice or a simple stir fry noodle.
Here is more of our family’s favourite quick and easy stir fry dishes you can try out :
- Pepper Steak Stir Fry ( Simple Chinese pepper beef recipe. )
- Chicken and Rice Noodle Stir Fry ( Quick and easy dinner in 30 minutes. )
- Beef and Noodles Stir Fry ( With homemade sauce! )
- Chicken Broccoli Noodles ( All kids and adults love it. )
- Stir-Fry Prawns & Broccoli ( Fast stir fry in 20 minutes. )
Watch how to make it cooking video
- 220 g ( 8 oz) Steak Rump/Sirloin
- 150 g (5.5 oz)Broccoli Tenderstem
- 2 slices Ginger
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- ¼ tsp Baking soda
- 2 tsp Potato/Corn starch ( flour )
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 3 tbsp Oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp Light soy sauce
- ½ tsp Dark soy sauce
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- Cut the beef steak into thin slices. Mix well with the ingredients in the beef marinate list. Set aside and marinate for 10-15 mins.
- In a small bowl mix all the ingredients in the sauce list. Set aside.
- Cut the tenderstem broccoli into 2" pieces. Cut the ginger and garlic into thin slices.
- Heat the pan into medium heat, drizzle 2 tbsp oil. Add the garlic and stir for few seconds then add the ginger slices and stir for few seconds.
- Add the marinated beef and stir fry with medium high heat for 1-2 mins till the beef change into nice colour.
- Add the broccoli pieces and stir fry for few seconds.
- Add the sauce mix and continue stir fry for 2-3 mins till all the ingredients and sauce combine together.
- Add a teaspoon of sesame oil and stir well.
- Delicious beef and broccoli is ready. Perfect with a bowl of steamed rice or a simple stir fry noodle.
If you enjoy our recipe, please leave a comment and give us a rating! If you’ve tried this recipe, tag me on social media, I would love to see your creations! Follow me on social media Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for the latest updates.