This Spicy Tofu Stir Fry is an incredibly flavourful tofu dish you can prepare in less than 20 minutes. Tofu cubes and vegetables tossed with simple seasonings. A kick of chili oil in the dish makes all the difference to the regular tofu stir fry.
Some might find tofu is plain and boring but, I love tofu and make tofu dishes frequently in our family meal rotation. If you know how to cook it right and pair it with other vegetables and meat, tofu dishes are healthy, nutritious, and super delicious. If you love Chinese tofu dishes, you might also want to try out our family favourite Crispy Salt and Pepper Tofu recipe!
Ingredients we need
- Tofu : Use firm tofu and drain the water out from the packet, pat dry with paper towel. My tips is to pan fry the tofu cubes first to prevent from breaking. You can buy tofu in most Oriental/Chinese supermarkets.
- Vegetables : This tofu dish is very versatile, you can customise with any stir fry vegetables. Tips : start adding the hard vegetables first in your stir fry.
- Seasonings : Season with oyster sauce, soy sauce and crispy chilli oil. Add salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste.
- Chilli Oil - I use store bought Laoganma crispy chilli oil in this recipe, you can also use chilli garlic oil or Sichuan chilli oil. You can buy Chinese Lao Gan Ma Chilli oil and Lee Kum Kee Chilli oil in most Chinese/Oriental supermarkets or Amazon online, or try my homemade chilli oil recipe.
How To Make Spicy Tofu Stir Fry
Dice the tofu into small bite-size pieces and thinly slice the shiitake mushroom and vegetables.
Add a tablespoon of oil in a pan and stir fry the tofu pieces until light golden brown. Remove the tofu pieces from pan and set aside.
In the remaining pan, add the garlic slices and stir fry for few seconds. Then follow with the onion cubes and stir fry for few seconds.
Add the shitake mushroom and lotus root and stir fry for 1 min.
Add the bell pepper and stir fry for another 1 min and follow with the fried tofu pieces. Season with soy sauce, oyster sauce, chilli oil, salt and pepper to taste.
Combine all ingredients and seasonings evenly and continue cook for another 1 minute, until all the vegetables cook through.
Sprinkle spring onions and transfer to serving plate. Simply delicious stir fry tofu is ready, serve immediately! Perfect with hot streamed rice or simple stir fry noodle. Enjoy!
How to Serve This Dish
I usually serve with hot steamed rice and make it a quick meal. You can serve with simple plain rice, fried rice, fried noodles or pair with other dishes and make it a wholesome family dinner. I recommend to pair with following dishes:
- Chicken Corn Soup
- Crispy Orange Chicken
- Garlic Fried Rice
- Pepper Steak Stir Fry
- Crispy Shredded Chicken
What is Tofu
Tofu is made from bean curd and a great source of plant-based protein, rich in iron, calcium and essential amino acids. Originated in China and one of the staple ingredients in Chinese and most Oriental cuisines. There are two different types of tofu, firm tofu and soft tofu. It can be cook on its own and make it fried tofu or add in stir fries, soups and curries.
- 400 g Firm Tofu Cut into small cubes
- 3-4 slices Lotus Root Cut small pieces
- 3-4 slices Dry Shitake Mushroom ( soaked in warm water for 15-30 mins ) Cut thin slices
- 2-3 slices Garlic Cut thin slices or roughly chopped
- ½ Onion Cut in small cubes
- ½ Bell Pepper Cut in small squares
- 2-3 Spring Onions Cut thin slices
- 1 tbsp Oil Vegetable or neutral flavour oil
- 1 tbsp Light Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- ¼ tsp Black Pepper
- ¼ tsp Salt Optional
- 2 tsp Chilli Oil
- Heat the pan into medium heat, drizzle a tablespoon of vegetable oil. Stir fry the tofu pieces until light golden brown. Remove the tofu pieces from pan and set aside.
- Add the garlic slices into the pan and stir fry for few seconds, next add the onion cubes and stir fry for few seconds.
- Place the shitake mushroom and lotus root and stir fry for 1-2 minutes.
- Follow with the bell pepper and place the fried tofu back in the pan. Season with, soy sauce, oyster sauce, black pepper, chilli oil. You can add salt to taste or skip salt according to your preference.
- Mix well to combine all ingredients evenly and continue stir fry with medium high heat for another 1-2 minutes.
- Sprinkle spring onions in the final step and toss well. Transfer to serving plate and serve immediately.
- Perfect with hot streamed rice or simple stir fry noodle. Enjoy!
- Mushroom - If you don't have dry shitake mushroom you can use button or closed-up mushroom of your choice.
- Vegetable - You don't need to use exact same ingredients, feel free to swap with your favourite stir fry vegetables.
- Chilli oil - You can use Lao Gan Ma Chilli oil, Lee Kum Kee chilli oil, or any of your favourite Chinese chilli oil. If you want to use a homemade one check out my Chilli Garlic and Sichuan Chilli Oil recipe.
- Vegetarian option - Use vegetarian stir fry sauce or mushroom stir fry sauce instead of oyster sauce. You can find it in Lee Kum Kee brand.