Cashew chicken stir fry recipe with juicy tender chicken pieces with cashew nuts, crisp colourful veggies, and delicious savoury stir-fry sauce. Serve with a bowl of steamed rice. Super Delicious!
You can create this famous restaurant-style cashew chicken at home with cupboard-friendly, simple ingredients. Like other stir fry dishes, it's perfect for a busy weeknight dinner.
I love this dish very much because it’s really easy to make and the savoury sauce is such a temptation and mouth-watering. I make it quite often as my whole family loves it! Here is a handful of our family's favourite easy Asian stir-fry recipes that you might like :
- Pepper Steak Stir Fry
- Stir-Fry Prawns & Broccoli
- Cumin Beef Stir Fry
- Chicken and Rice Vermicelli Stir Fry
- Beef and Noodles Stir Fry
What is Cashew Chicken?
This is a very popular stir fry chicken dish, widely available in many restaurants and takeaways across the world. There are two famous recipes, Chinese and Thai, and both are very similar.
Chinese style - is usually made with chicken, cashew nuts, and bell peppers. The sauce consists of sugar, soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, and Shaoxing Chinese cooking rice wine.
Thai style - Originally it's a Chinese dish but in Thailand, they have their spicy version of it with extra chillies and a splash of fish sauce. If you wish to make it a less spicy or kid-friendly version, you can omit the chillies.
In this post I'll share how to make restaurant-style Thai Cashew Chicken recipe, taste just like you have had at your favourite Thai restaurant.
Ingredients you will need
You can simply use tender boneless chicken breast or thigh meats. If you are bored of chicken, you can substitute it with beef, lamb, prawns(shrimps), or any protein you wish.
For vegetarian option : you can simply substitute with firm tofu and use vegetarian oyster sauce in the sauce mixture.
Onion, bell pepper, spring onions, dry or fresh chillies are ideal to use. But you can also add other stir fry vegetables like carrots, mushrooms, snow peas, baby corn, bird eye chilli etc.
2 Simple Tips To Make This Dish
1. Marinade : Add a bit of baking soda in the chicken marinade. Baking soda and corn flour in the chicken marinade keeps the meat moist and tender while stir frying with high heat.
2. Stir Fry Sauce : Mix all your sauce ingredients in a small bowl before you start cooking. Since this dish is a very quick stir fry, you need to prepare all your sauces and vegetables ready. Add a splash of fish sauce to bring more flavour to the dish taste exactly like a Thai restaurant. Fish sauce might smell weird for some people but for Thai cuisines, fish sauce is an essential much-loved condiment. Highly recommend adding to this recipe.
What is fish sauce made of? What to substitute fish sauce?
Fish sauce is liquid condiment used widely in Burmese, Thai, Lao, Vietnamese cooking, made from fermented anchovies. The taste is salty, savoury, earthy and umami at the same time. You can add in many Asian soups, noodles and stir fry dishes. You can either substitute with light soy sauce or salt to taste.
How To Serve This Dish
Perfectly match with a simple bowl of steamed rice, egg fried rice, or fried noodles. Or it can be accompanied with Tom Yum Soup, Crispy Fried Wonton, Pad See Eww, or other various Thai cuisines and make it a perfect Thai banquet dinner.
Here is the simple cooking process :
Cut chicken into small dices. Marinade chicken pieces with soy sauce, vinegar, baking soda, and corn starch. Set aside and marinate for 10-15 mins. This method called meat velveting and it keeps the chicken moist and tender when stir fry it with high-heat.
Gather all sauce ingredients and mix everything evenly in a bowl and set it aside.
Fry the cashew nuts in the pan until crispy brown colour and set aside. Or you can use unsalted roasted cashew nuts.
Add more oil in the same pan stir fry the marinated chicken pieces over medium-high heat until cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
Heat the pan to medium heat, drizzle a bit of oil, add garlic and dry chillies and stir for few seconds.
Add the pepper slices, stir for few seconds and follow with the chicken pieces.
Pour the sauce mix in and stir to combine the sauce and other ingredients evenly with high heat for 1-2 minutes.
Add the spring onions and cashew nuts, mix well to combine all ingredients. Continue stir fry with high-heat for 1-2 mins.
Delicious Cashew Chicken is ready! Serve immediately with hot streamed rice. Enjoy!
If you enjoy our recipe, please leave a comment and give us a rating! If you’ve tried this recipe, tag me on social media, I would love to see your creations! Follow me on social media Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for the latest updates.
Watch How To Make Cashew Chicken
- 400 g Boneless Chicken thigh/breast
- ½ cup Cashew Nuts
- 3-4 cloves Garlic chopped
- 2 tbsp Dried Chillies cut small pieces
- ½ cup Bell Pepper cut thin slices
- 2-3 Spring Onion cut 2'' pieces
Marinate for Chicken
- 1 tsp Light soy sauce
- 1 tsp Rice Vinegar
- 1 tsp Baking Powder/Soda
- 1 tsp Corn/Potato Starch(Flour)
Stir Fry Sauce
- 1 tbsp Light soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Fish sauce
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil
- 2 tbsp Oyster sauce
- 1 tsp Corn/Potato starch(flour)
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Cut chicken into small cubes. Mix the chicken pieces with soy sauce, vinegar, baking soda and corn starch. Set aside and marinate for 10-15 mins.
- Prepare the stiry fry sauce by mixing all the ingredients in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add 1-2 Tbsp oil in a pan and stir fry the cashew nuts till the color changed into lightly brown and crispy. ( Or your can use the roasted cashew nuts. ) Remove from pan and set aside.
- Reheat the pan into medium high heat. Drizzle ½ tbsp oil, add the marinated chicken pieces and stir fry for 1-2 mins till the chicken change into nice color. Remove from pan in a bowl and set a side.
- Drizzle 1 tbsp oil and add the chopped garlic and stir fry for few seconds, then add the dry chilles and stir for few seconds.
- Then add the pepper slices and stir well for few seconds and follow by the chicken pieces.
- Pour the sauce mix. Still well to combine the sauce and all the ingredients with high heat for 1 min.
- Add the spring onions and cashew nuts, mix everything well for 1 min.
- Delicious Cashew Chicken is ready! Perfect with hot streamed rice. Serve immediately!