Incredibly tasty Mongolian ground beef recipe. This ground beef recipe is made with very light and simple stir fry sauce. Extremely delicious, quick, and budget-friendly. Soon to be your favourite weeknight dinner.
If you like my Chilli Pepper Beef recipe you will definitely like this Mongolian ground beef recipe too. This dish is so versatile, that you can swap it with chicken, lamb, or any ground meat ( minced meat ). Ingredients used in this recipe are pantry-friendly and available at most supermarkets and Chinese/Oriental grocery stores.
What is Mongolian Ground Beef?
Mongolian ground beef is another version of the Mongolian beef which is a very popular Chinese-American restaurant dish, originated in Taiwan and recreated in America. In the original recipe, the beefsteak is cut into thin slices and cooked with a sweet and savory sauce. Like how the signature Singapore Noodles is originated outside of Singapore, Mongolian beef also is a Chinese-American dish that is not a recipe from Mongolia.
In this recipe, ground beef is used instead of steak cuts and it takes less cooking time. This is a very versatile dish and you can prepare in less than 30 minutes using your favorite type of ground meat. If you wish to try with noodles, Mongolian Ground Beef Noodles also is a very easy noodles dish that you can make with spaghetti noodles or egg noodles. I will update the recipe for this soon too.
How To Make At Home
It is very easy to make it at home and you will only need basic ingredients available in your pantry. This saucy dish is a perfect combination of ground beef, sweet, and savory brown sauce, and spring onions. I added one large chili to bring a bit of heat to the dish.
It is originally not a spicy dish but you can add fresh or dry chilies to bring out more flavor and color to the dish. You can add the dry chilies in whole without chopping to make it less spicy. This dish is originally a bit overly sweet dish with extra sugar added but my recipe will not be too sweet or too oily.
It is best to use dark brown or brown sugar for this dish. The level of saltiness may also differ with the soy sauce brands we use, so try a little bit of it to taste and adjust according to your preference.
Here is the simple steps you need to make :
Prepare the vegetables by finely chop the garlic cloves, cut spring onions, and chilli into thin slices, cut onion into small dices. Marinate the ground beef with sesame oil, ginger chopped, and white pepper for 10 to 15 minutes.
Gather all the sauce ingredients and mix it all in a small bowl.
Stir fry the chopped garlic and onions first and follow with the marinated beef. Cook until the beef changed colour.
Pour the sauce mixture in, continue to stir fry with medium-high heat until cooked through. Add chilli slices and stir for few seconds. Turn off the heat and follow with chopped spring onion. Stir well to combine all ingredients evenly.
Make a taste test and add extra salt and pepper if needed.
How to serve this dish?
Perfect with a bowl of hot steamed rice, fried rice. For a healthier option, serve it with cauliflower rice, brown rice, or any of your favourite steamed vegetables.
Lifehack – If there is any leftover, mix it with eggs and make a delicious meaty omelette dish at the next meal. If you love ground beef, here are more of our family's favourite Asian ground beef recipes ( Asian minced beef recipes ) you can try out:
- Korean Beef Bowl ( Stir fry ground beef with Korean style sweet, spicy, savoury sauce. )
- Ground Beef Curry ( Aromatic Indian style ground beef and potato curry. )
- Chilli Pepper Beef ( Ground Beef ) ( Viewers' favourite stir fry Asian ground beef recipe! )
If you enjoy our recipe, please leave a comment and give us a rating! If you've tried this recipe, tag me on social media,I would love to see your creations! Follow me on social media Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for latest updates.
Watch how to make Mongolian ground beef recipe video:
- ½ Onion cut small dices
- 3-4 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 5-6 Spring onions cut thin slices
- 300 g Ground beef (beef mince) lean cut or less in fat
- 2 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 1 Red Chilli optional
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- 1 tsp Ginger paste finely grated ginger
- ¼ tsp White/black pepper
Stir Fry Sauce
- 2 tbsp Brown sugar
- 2 tbsp Light soy sauce
- 1 tsp Dark soy sauce
- ¼ cup Chicken stock/broth
- ½ tsp Corn/potato starch(flour)
- Mix the ground beef with sesame oil, ginger chopped and white pepper. Marinate for 15 mins and set aside.
- Finely chop the garlic cloves, cut spring onions and chilli into thin slices, cut onion into small dices.
- Heat the pan to medium high heat , drizzle two tablespoon of oil and add the chopped garlic and stir for few seconds then add the onions and stir for 1 min.
- Add the marinated beef and stir till the beef slightly colour changed, then add the sauce mixture in. Stir fry with medium high heat until the sauce are absorbed and beef is cooked.
- Add chilli slices and stir for few seconds. Turn off the heat and add the spring onion slices. Stir well to combine all ingredients evenly. Make a taste test and add extra salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve over a cooked rice and garnish with chopped spring onions. Enjoy!