Hot and Spicy Chicken is a perfect combo of crispy chicken and spicy sauce. It goes well with a bowl of steamed rice, egg fried rice, or simple stir fry noodles. Perfect dinner option for spicy food lovers! Super easy to make and you can prepare this mouth-watering dish in less than 30 minutes.
This recipe was one of the most loved chicken recipes at the time my husband and friends opened Oriental takeout in Birmingham. They created this recipe because many customers requested the hot and spicy chicken with a crispy coating. Their special hot sauce is infused with three different chilies and the taste is spicy, sweet, and savoury. Whenever I visit the shop I usually love to have the hot and spicy chicken with noodles and extra sauce on top.
My recipe is slightly different from the shop because I adjust the chilli sauce and bird eye chillies according to my taste. You can always adjust the taste by adding more or less chillies or sauces to your preference.
Ingredients for Hot and Spicy Chicken:
- Chicken : I love to make with boneless chicken thigh for this recipe. You can use boneless chicken breast, prawns, tofu or fish to your taste. This recipe goes well with most types of protein. I used baking soda in the chicken marinade to tenderize it. Its a Chinese method called velveting and you can use this tenderizing method in your chicken or beef marinade. It keeps the meat moist and tender for cooking on high heat.
- Coating : Coat with corn or potato starch to achieve the crispy coating skin. As I have asked many questions about corn flour and corn starch. Corn starch and corn flour is not exactly same but you can substitute. Corn starch is more starchy and gives the crispier texture when you deep fry in oil. ( You can buy corn/potato starch in most Oriental/Chinese supermarkets. )
- Hot and Spicy Sauce : I used Sriracha Thai chilli sauce in the sauce mix. If you cannot get Sriracha sauce, its totally fine to use any hot chilli sauce available at your grocery stores. To balance the hot, sweet and savoury taste, oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, sugar and vinegar are includes in the sauce. To thicken the sauce corn starch water is added. If you prefer the sauce thinner, you can skip this step.
- Vegetables : I add onion, carrot, bell peppers, chilli pepper and bird eye chillies. Extra vegetables like courgette, bamboo shoots, spring onions goes well too.
HOW TO MAKE PERFECT HOT & SPICY CHICKEN :
Cut chicken into small medium bite size pieces. Marinate with baking soda, sesame oil and light soy sauce for 5 minutes.
Prepare the vegetables by cut the onions and sweet pepper into small dices. Cut carrot, green chilli and bird eye chilli into thin slices.
Coat the chicken well with potato or corn starch (flour). Toss the excess flour out before frying.
Heat the oil into high heat about 350° F. Add the coated chicken pieces and deep fry for 2-3 mins untill chicken turn into light brown colour. Remove from oil and set aside.
Heat the wok, add all the ingredients from the sauce mix and bring it to boil with medium high heat.
Add the carrot and onion and stir for few seconds. Then follow with the peppers, chicken, bird eye chillies and chilli oil. Stir well with medium heat to 1 to 2 minutes.
Add ½ tsp corn flour + 1 tbsp water mixture in the sauce and stir well for 1 min to thicken the sauce. You can add or omit salt according to your taste. Delicious Hot and Spicy Chicken is ready! Serve immediately with a bowl of steamed rice or noodle!
You can make a wholesome family dinner with these following recipes :
- Basic Egg Fried Rice & Fried Noodles
- Chicken Corn Soup
- Singapore Noodle
- Spicy Fried Rice
- Crispy Salt & Pepper Beef
If you enjoy our recipe, please leave a comment and give us a rating! If you’ve tried this recipe, tag me on social media, I would love to see your creations! Follow me on social media Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for the latest updates.
Watch How to Make Recipe Video Instructions
- 250 g Chicken thigh/breast
- 1 cup Potato/Corn Starch (flour)
- ½ Large Sweet Onion
- ½ Carrot
- ½ Bell Pepper
- 1 Chilli Pepper
- ½ tsp Chilli Oil
- 2-3 Bird eye chillies
- Oil for frying
- ½ tsp corn flour mix with 1 tbsp water Optional
Marinate for Chicken
- ½ tsp Baking Soda
- ½ tsp Sesame Oil
- ½ tsp Light Soy Sauce
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tsp Dark Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Oyster Sauce
- 2 tsp Vinegar
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- 3 tbsp Sriracha chilli sauce/ hot chilli sauce
- Cut chicken into small medium bite size pieces. Marinate with baking soda, sesame oil and light soy sauce for 5 minutes.
- Prepare the vegetables by cut the onions and sweet pepper into small dices. Cut carrot, green chilli and bird eye chilli into thin slices.
- Coat the chicken well with potato/corn flour and toss the excess flour out before frying.
- Heat the oil into high heat about 350° F. Add the coated chicken pieces and deep fry for 2-3 mins till chicken turn into light brown colour. Remove from oil and set aside.
- Heat the wok, add all the ingredients from the sauce mix and bring it to boil with medium high heat.
- Add the carrot and onion first and stir for few seconds, then follow the peppers, fried chicken pieces, bird eye chilli and chilli oil. Stir well with medium heat to 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add ½ tsp corn flour + 1 tbsp water mixture in the sauce and stir well for 1 min. ( To thicken the sauce. )
- You can add or omit salt according to your taste.
- Delicious Hot and Spicy Chicken is ready! Serve immediately with a bowl of steamed rice.