Easy Soy Sauce Chicken Noodles recipe with egg noodles, soy braised chicken and flavourful chicken broth. You can make this popular Singapore hawker style noodles at home with our simple instructions!
Our family loves this humble noodle dish, where the chicken is slowly simmered in two soy sauces, Shaoxing wine, and simple everyday herbs ginger, garlic, and spring onions. This noodle recipe is simple but not bland and can be served at any time of the day. The taste is so satisfying and beyond amazing!
If you are a Chines noodles fan, here is more of our family's favourite recipes you can try out :
- Hoisin Beef Noodle ( Beef noodles with hoisin flavour sauce. )
- Dan Dan Noodles (Sichuan Spicy Noodles )
- Shanghai Noodles with Prawns ( The best king prawn noodles. )
- Rice Noodle Stir-Fry (Chicken Chow Fun) ( Chinese takeout favorite chow fun. )
- Chicken Broccoli Noodles ( Perfect easy weeknight dinner! )
Original Soy Sauce Chicken
Soy sauce chicken ( See Yao Gai ) is a very famous Chinese chicken dish and also known as Cantonese soy sauce chicken or Hong Kong style soy sauce chicken. The original soy sauce chicken is usually made with a whole chicken, poached in soy sauce and herbs. Chicken is chopped just before serving and usually served with simple plain rice, chicken rice, or noodles.
In Singapore, hawker Chan's soya chicken rice and noodles is very popular that everyone raving. We really wish to travel to Singapore and visit the hawker centers. While we can't travel to Singapore during this pandemic, we decided to make our own homemade version hawker-style soy sauce chicken noodles and share with our friends.
How to make soy sauce chicken noodles?
You will just need a few simple Asian ingredients like light soy sauce, dark soy, Shaoxing cooking wine, Chinese five spices, and sugar. White pepper, black pepper, star anise, and sesame oil bring more flavour to the sauce.
Here is the simple cooking process :
Saute the garlic, ginger, and spring onions first, then pour the water, and sauces. Let it boil and add the chicken and spices in and simmer for 20 minutes. Flip sides halfway through. Then remove the chicken from the sauce and keep it warm.
Thicken the sauce with corn starch water mixture, then add sesame oil and black pepper for more flavour.
To serve the dish, boil the thin egg noodles and blanch the greens. Slice the braised chicken breasts. Add a ladle of sauce to the serving bowl, place the noodles over the sauce. Topped with chicken slices, blanched vegetables, sambal, and chopped spring onions.
I love to use boneless chicken thigh or breast with skin-on as they are very quick and easy to prepare. I've tried this recipe quite a few times with both chicken leg and boneless chicken. I found that boneless chicken is the easiest way to cut the chicken, less mess, and less time-consuming.
Chicken legs, drumsticks, or wings go well too. You will need more time to cook if you use bone-in chicken pieces.
As soy sauces are key ingredients to make this dish you will need both dark soy and light soy for this recipe. Light soy sauce - also known as thin soy sauce, regular soy sauce, or all-purpose soy sauce. The taste is salty, slightly sweet, bitter, and umami.
Dark soy sauce - creates the appetizing brown colour for the chicken and noodles. You mustn't skip dark soy sauce in this dish.
Spices and Herbs
Ginger, Garlic, and Scallion ( Spring Onion ) - Saute the ginger slices, garlic cloves, and spring onions first in the saucepan to bring a nice aroma to the sauce.
Chinese Five Spices - is a powder mixture of cinnamon, star anise, cloves, Sichuan peppercorns, and fennel. It has a warm, sweet, toasty, distinct flavour. You need a very little amount to use as it can overpower the dish if you add a lot.
Star Anise - I add two pods of star anise in the sauce. It has a pungent, licorice-like flavour and create the chicken broth deep flavoured. You can add extra herbs like cinnamon stick and bay leaves according to your preference.
Peppers - Use fresh ground black pepper and white peppers to bring some heat to the broth.
Sugar and Salt - Add sugar to balance the sauce sweet and savoury at the same time. Sprinkle some salt to taste as the sauce is to serve together with noodles.
Sesame oil - Toasted sesame oil is best to add at the final touch. Thick toasty sesame flavour chicken broth and noodles are the best match!
You can either use fresh or dry egg noodles. If you use dry egg noodles, please follow the noodle packet instructions. If you use fresh egg noodles blanch the noodles in hot boiling water for 1 minute to make them warm and tender.
Fine/thin egg noodles are ideal for this recipe. The texture of fine noodle strands and rich brown soy sauce mixed together create a mouthwatering result. The noodle bowl will taste like a real deal Singapore hawker centre's style soya sauce chicken noodles. However, you can try with any of your favourite wheat, buckwheat, vermicelli, or rice noodles.
Soy Sauce Chicken Noodles
- 21 oz Chicken breast ( boneless skin-on chicken thigh or breast ) about 600 gram
- 5 slices Ginger
- 4 cloves Garlic
- 4 Spring onions
- ½ tsp Chinese five spices
- 2 pods Star anise ( optional )
- ¼ tsp White pepper
- 3 tbsp Sugar
- ¼ cup Light soy sauce ( or all purpose soy sauce )
- 3 tbsp Dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine
- 1 tsp Salt ( Or salt to taste )
- 1 tsp Sesame oil ( toasted )
- 2 cup Water
- 2 tsp Corn starch ( mix it with 2 tbsp of water )
- 1 tbsp Vegetable oil
- 14 oz Egg noodles about 400 gram ( fine egg noodles - fresh or boiled )
- Pak choy ( bok choy, kai lan, or tender stem broccoli )
- Spring onions chopped
- Sambal sauce ( Sambal oelek/ Chilli garlic sauce or chilli oil )
- Sauté the ginger slices, garlic cloves in the large saucepan for 1 minute and follow with the white part of spring onions. Continue stir for 1-2 minutes until slightly brown and nice fragrant comes out.
- Pour two cups of water, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce and Chinese Shaoxing wine. Bring it to boil and add the chicken breasts, white pepper, Chinese five spices, and star anise. Let the sauce boil again.
- Then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Flip the chicken breasts halfway through.
- Remove the chicken breast from the sauce, cut into medium slices and keep it warm.
- Strain the herbs and spices with a strainer.
- Add corn starch water slurry, sesame oil, black pepper and salt to taste into the sauce. Reduce the sauce to desire thickness and keep it warm.
- To serve the dish, blanch the noodles and vegetables for 1-2 minutes. Place the sauce in the bottom of the bowl, add the noodles in, topped with chicken slices, blanched vegetables, spring onions and sambal sauce.
- Chinese Five Spices – is a powder mixture of cinnamon, star anise, cloves, Sichuan peppercorns, and fennel. You can find it in most Chinese/Oriental grocery stores.
- Star anise - It has a pungent, licorice-like flavour and creates the chicken broth aromatic deep flavoured. You can omit star anise if you don't have it in hand.
- Can I use bone-in chicken? - Yes, If you use chicken leg or bone-in chicken pieces, you can increase the simmering time for about total 30 minutes.
- Sambal - Sambal is an Indonesian/Malaysian hot chilli sauce made of chilli peppers, shallots, shrimp paste, ginger, lime, etc. If you can't get sambal sauce, Chinese chilli garlic sauce or any hot chilli garlic sauce can be a great substitute.
- Shaoxing wine - is a Chinese cooking rice wine that consists of a very low alcohol percentage. If you wish to make an alcohol free or halal version, you can omit Shaoxing wine in this recipe.
I hope you enjoy this soy sauce chicken noodle recipe. If you enjoy our recipe, please leave a comment and give us a rating! If you’ve tried this recipe, tag me on social media, I would love to see your creations! Follow me on social media Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for the latest updates.
Thank you so much for this lovely recipe. I have already made five of your dish and all of them turn out really well. This soy sauce noodles recipe is on the list now.
Thank you so much. I am so glad that you enjoyed the recipe.