A quick and simple mild chicken curry recipe with bags of flavor. It makes a great go-to mid-week meal for the whole family. Ready in 30 minutes!
Freezer-friendly so you can make a big batch and save some for later. Perfect for quick lunch or light dinner – using simple and pantry-friendly ingredients only!
I love this dish because it is rich in flavor and makes me feel satisfied. The sweetness of the slow-cooked meat and vegetables is what makes this dish rich and tasteful.
What Is Japanese Curry?
Japanese curry? Yes, Japanese people love curry dishes and it's a go-to meal for most Japanese families, since many decades ago. This curry is adapted from western-style stew but cooked in its own Japanese-style curry powder and served on top of rice.
The dish is also called Japanese curry rice (Kare Raisu). Unlike most Asian curries, it is less spicy and has more thickness in the sauce. The color is usually brown, more like golden brown, and sweet and savory in taste. It is also sometimes called Japanese golden curry.
A warm bowl of rice topped with flavorful gravy that includes a rich amount of protein and vegetables. This all-in-one dish will be a soothing and heart-warming dinner you can easily prepare at home if you had a long, hectic day outside.
Japanese Curry Roux Blocks
One of the advantages of making this dish is you can get the readymade curry sauce mix at the stores. I use those curry roux on the rush days but I personally prefer the homemade curry paste to the store-bought one.
If you are using the store-bought curry mix, follow the packet instructions. There are few famous brands like S&B Golden Curry, Java Curry, Kokumaro curry, Yutaka Curry, etc and you can choose mild, or hot according to your taste.
I usually use S&B Golden Curry which is widely available in UK supermarkets like TESCO, ASDA, and Asian groceries. You can use any brand that is available in your country.
Japanese Curry Sauce From Scratch
When I have time, I make it from scratch and store it in an air-tight jar for the next cooking if there is any extra sauce. In this recipe, I am showing you how to prepare the curry from scratch so that you can prepare it even when you don’t have the Japanese curry cubes ready or can’t find it at your local store.
Whether you use store-bought curry mix or make the roux yourself, it is still an easy-to-cook dish!
Protein - I am using boneless chicken breast in this recipe. You can use any meat, fish, seafood, or tofu (bean curd). With tofu, you can prepare a delicious vegetarian Japanese curry.
Vegetables - Shallots (or onions), potatoes, and carrots are mainly added to this dish. You can also add peas and cabbages too. It is important to cut the potatoes and carrots into similar sizes and shapes as shown in the instruction pictures.
Curry paste - To make this flavorful gravy sauce, you will need chicken stock, curry powder, paprika powder, salt, sugar, and plain flour. Use chicken stock instead of water to achieve the umami curry taste, just like you have had at your favorite restaurant.
For the vegetarian option, substitute chicken stock with vegetable stock or water. Plain flour is added for the creamy gravy texture.
All the detailed cooking steps with tips are shown below.
Simple Cooking Steps :
Cut the chicken into medium strips. Cut potato and carrot into medium-size cubes.
Heat the pan and add butter and oil, then add the chopped shallots and stir fry until the shallots are softened. Follow with the chicken pieces and cook for a few minutes until the chicken colour changed. Then add the ginger paste and stir well.
Add the potatoes and carrots cubes, then add the curry powder, paprika powder, salt, and sugar. Saute' for 1-2 min.
Then add the plain flour, stir well. Pour one cup of water or chicken stock and mix well to combine all ingredients. Continue cooking for a few minutes, stir occasionally until the vegetables are tender. ( Add a bit more water if needed. )
How To Serve This Dish
Being served together with rice is the signature of this dish – like they are inseparable. I use Japanese rice or Thai Jasmine rice but you can use any rice of your choice.
Shredded vegetables with your favorite seasonings can be served as sides too. I am garnishing with shredded carrots and cabbage to bring the dish more color and crunchiness.
My Other Curry Recipes You Might Like:
- Thai Red Curry Chicken (Superfast restaurant-style Red Curry with store-bought paste)
- Chinese Chicken Curry (Must try Chinese curry)
- Easy Butter Chicken Recipe (Classic Butter Chicken with our simple tips!)
- Chicken Madras (British-Indian style red curry perfect with naan)
- Japanese Katsu Curry (Mild curry with panko coated crispy chicken)
- Homemade Chicken Tikka Masala (Perfect with basmati rice)
- Satay Chicken Curry (Grilled chicken in Malaysian style peanuts sauce )
- 200 g Chicken breast
- ½ tsp Ginger
- 1 Potato
- 1 Carrot
- 3 tbsp Plain / All purpose flour
- 1 Shallot/onion
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Curry powder
- ½ tsp Paprika
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- Cut the chicken into medium strips. Cut the potato and carrot into medium cubes.
- Heat the pan and add butter and oil, then add the cut shallots and stir fry till the shallots are softened.
- Then add the chicken pieces and stir for a few seconds. Then add the ginger paste and stir well.
- Add the cut potatoes and carrots, then add the curry powder, paprika powder, salt and sugar. Saute' for 1 min.
- Then add the plain flour, stir well. Then add one cup of water and mix well to combine all ingredients.
- Continue cooking for a few minutes, stir occasionally till the vegetables are tender. ( Add a bit more water if needed. )
- Serve with steamed Japanese rice or Jasmine rice. Garnish with shredded cabbage and carrots. ( Optional )
- Delicious Japanese Chicken Curry is ready!
If you enjoy our recipe, please leave a comment and give us a rating! If you've tried this recipe, tag me on social media, I would love to see your creations! Follow me on social media Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for latest updates.