Quick and easy hoisin beef noodle that you can prepare in less then 30 mins. Stir fry tender beef noodles with veges and hoisin infused sauce. Sweet, savoury and spicy flavour all packed together in a dish. If you are a bit bored of regular stir fry noodles, you need to try this spicy hoisin beef noodle. One of our family's favourite quick and delicious meal that can make with minimum effort.
- Noodles: I've used wheat noodles for this recipe, you can use any of your favourite egg or wheat noodles. If you use fresh noodles you can add them straight to wok/pan. If you use dry noodles, boiled the noodles by the packet instructions.
- Vegetables: What I love about this stir fry dish is the colourful crisp vegetables. I used bell pepper, sweet onion and spring onions. You can add extra stir fry vegetables cut in thin slices. For a kick of spicy flavour add bird eye chilli slices. You can adjust the chilli amount according to your taste.
- Protein: I use sirloin steak for this recipe. You can use any tender steak cut of your choice like rump, sirloin or tenderloin steak. To get the moist and tender beef, marinate the beef for 15 mins. This is the Chinese method of tenderizing meat, called velveting. You can swap with chicken slices, prawns or any of your choice of protein.
- Sauce: Flavourful stir fry sauce made with hoisin sauce, light soy sauce, dark soy sauce and oyster sauce. To balance the sauce taste, I add vinegar and sugar.
What is hoisin sauce?
Hoisin sauce is made of fermented bean paste, sugar, sweet potato and spices. It has a rich sweet, savoury and salty taste. You don't need to use much, a tablespoon of sauce can bring the aromatic flavour.
Is there any substitute for hoisin sauce?
Black bean garlic sauce, chilli bean sauce and BBQ sauce are very similar in taste. Combine 1 tablespoon of Black bean/Chilli bean/BBQ sauce with 1 tablespoon of brown sugar and a pinch of Chinese five spices. Mix well make it a paste. You can use oyster sauce if you cannot get any of these sauces.
How to make Hoisin Beef Noodles:
First of all, cut beef steak into thin slices. In a bowl, mix the beef slices with light soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, baking soda and corn starch(flour). Set aside and marinate for 15 minutes.
Finely chop the garlic cloves. Cut pepper, onion and chillies into thin slices. Cut the spring onions into 1" pieces.
To prepare the noodles, boil the noodles by packet instructions, drain the water out, rinse with cold water. Set aside. If you use fresh noodles, you can add straight to wok/pan.
In a small bowl, add all the stir fry sauce ingredients. Mix well and set aside.
Heat the pan to medium high heat, drizzle 2 tablespoon of oil. Add the marinated beef, flatten and spread the beef in the pan. Sear the beef for 2 mins then turn side and cook another 1 minute.
Push the beef to one side of pan and add the chopped garlic. Stir well for few seconds and add the chilli slices and stir well.
Add the noodles, vegetables and stir fry sauce in. Mix well to combine all ingredients evenly. Stir fry for another 1-2 mins until all ingredients are cooked through.
Spicy Hoisin Beef Noodles is ready! Enjoy!
- 220 g Beef steak rump/sirloin/tenderloin
- ½ Bell pepper
- ½ Onion
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 2-3 Bird eye or hot chilli
- 2-3 Spring onions
- 120 g Dry wheat/egg noodles Or 220 g fresh noodles
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Light soy sauce
- ¼ tsp Baking soda
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Corn starch(flour)
Stir Fry Sauce
- 1 tbsp Hoisin sauce
- 2 tbsp Oyster sauce
- 2 tsp Dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tbsp Light soy sauce
- Cut beef steak into thin slices. Mix the beef slices well with the ingredients from the beef marinade list. Set aside and marinate for 15 minutes.
- Finely chop the garlic cloves. Cut pepper, onion and chillies into thin slices. Cut the spring onions into 1" pieces.
- In a small bowl add all the stir fry sauce ingredients. Mix well and set aside.
- Boil the noodles per packet instructions, drain the water out. Set aside.
- Heat the pan to medium high heat, drizzle 2 tablespoon of oil. Add the marinated beef, flatten and spread the beef in the pan. Let it sear the beef for about 2 mins till the beef get nice colour and turn side and stir fry for another 1 minute.
- Push the beef to one side of pan and add the chopped garlic. Stir well for few seconds and add the chilli slices and stir well.
- Add the noodles and vegetables. Pour the stir fry sauce in. Mix well to combine all ingredients with high heat for 1-2 mins.
- Spicy Hoisin Beef Noodles are ready! Serve immediately!