Kimchi Fried Rice Recipe – Homemade kimchi fried rice, packed with spicy, savoury, tangy kimchi and tender chicken pieces. Super quick and easy to make with simple ingredients. Perfect weeknight dinner in 15 minutes!
What Is Kimchi Fried Rice
Every county has their own famous fried rice. Kimchi fried rice is one of the most popular Korean fried rice and loved and recreated by many people across the love. Kimchi is the key ingredient in this dish and I usually made with leftover rice, chicken or beef. Topped with sunny side-up egg, toasted sesame seeds, spring onions.
What I love about kimchi fried rice is, its quick and easy to make, budget friendly and simply delicious without using much ingredients. In this recipe I’ll share how we make delicious kimchi fried rice in simple instructions. It takes only 15 minutes maximum and you can achieve restaurant quality fried rice at home.
- Rice : A day old leftover rice is perfect for making fried rice. Leftover rice is drier and harder than fresh cook rice. It don’t get mushy easily when you stir fry it. If you wish to use fresh cook rice, spread it on a tray or large plate, let it chilled few hours unit it becomes cook and drier. I usually love to make with jasmine rice, but any medium or long grain rice goes well too.
- Kimchi : Kimchi is a staple Korean fermented vegetables. Usually made with, radish, cabbage, spring onions and seasoned with salt, Korean chilli pepper, ginger and garlic. Its a healthy fermented food with benefit of probiotics and loads of nutrition.
- Vegetables : I usually add only spring onions. You can add extra vegetables like mushroom, carrot or any stir fry vegetables to makes the dish more texture and taste.
- Protein : I add chicken breast in this recipe, you can use boneless chicken thigh, prawns, tofu, beef or any protein you wish.
- Seasonings : Juice from kimchi and gochujang ( Korean chilli paste ) are the key ingredients to season the fried rice. I add soy sauce, oyster and sesame oil to bring more umami flavour to the dish.
- Toppings : Topped with sunny side-up fried egg, crispy seaweed strips and toasted sesame seeds.
How to make it :
Cut chicken and onion into small cubes. Cut Kimchi into medium size pieces.
Heat the pan, drizzle 2 tablespoon of oil then add onion and stir for few seconds. Then add the chicken pieces, stir for 1 min.
Add the kimchi and gochujang paste and stir well for 1 min.
Add the cooked rice, pour all the ingredients from sauce list.
Stir fry for 1 – 2 mins with medium high heat. Add the cut spring onions.
Remove from pan and transfer to serving plate.
Topped the fried rice with fried egg. Garnish with toasted sesame seeds, spring onion slices and seaweed strips. Super delicious Kimchi Fried Rice is ready! Serve immediately!
Kimchi Fried Rice
- 1 Large Bowl Cooked Rice
- ½ Cup Kimchi
- 150 g Boneless chicken thigh/breast
- ½ Onion
- 1 ½ Tbsp Gochujang (Korean chilli paste)
- 2-3 Spring onion
- Salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp Light soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp Oyster sauce
- 1 Tsp Sugar
- 1 Tsp Sesame oil
- ½ Tbsp Kimchi Juice ( Liquid from the kimchi box bottom )
- 1-2 Fried Egg
- Toasted sesame seeds
- Spring onion slices
- Seaweed strips
- Cut chicken and onion into small cubes. Cut Kimchi into medium size pieces.
- Heat the pan, drizzle 2 tablespoon of oil then add onion and stir for few seconds. Then add the chicken pieces, stir for 1 min.
- Add the kimchi and gochujang paste and stir well for 1 min.
- Add the cooked rice, pour all the ingredients from sauce list.
- Stir fry for 1 – 2 mins with medium high heat. Add the cut spring onions.
- Remove from pan and transfer to serving plate.
- Topped the fried rice with fried egg.
- Garnish with toasted sesame seeds, spring onion slices and seaweed strips.
- Super delicious Kimchi Fried Rice is ready! Serve immediately!