Crispy garlic noodles is a delicious chicken noodles topped with crispy garlic, chicken crackling and quick pickle. Crispy garlic flakes and fragranced oil makes this noodle taste so good and flavourful.
This dish is one of our family’s favourite comfort food. I am sharing my version of crispy garlic noodles that all my family members and friends love.
Story of Crispy Garlic Noodle:
This dish is a Chinese-Burmese noodle dish. Very popular comfort food, loved by many people across Burma. Its called ” Sechet Khao Swe` ” in Burmese, ” Sechet ” means garlic oil and ” Khao Swe` “means noodles. There are many garlic noodle street food stalls in Rangoon China town and every corner of street, originally made with fresh wheat noodles, boiled shredded chicken, garlic oil, crispy garlic toppings, fresh spring onions and chilli sauce/salad.
- Noodles: Flat, thin wheat noodles are used in original recipe. You can use any wheat or egg noodles available. ( Fresh or boiled ) Most noodles goes well with this recipe, you can make with rice vermicelli or flat rice noodle too.
- Protein: I made with chicken breast, cut in small cubes. Boneless chicken thigh or mince meat are ideal for this recipe. Chicken skin is used to make the crackings.
I don’t like chicken crackling, can I skip it?
Yes, you can omit chicken crackling in the toppings. But I highly recommend to fry the chicken skin first in the oil before you fry the garlic. Then you can discard it. The flavour comes out from chicken fat makes the garlic oil very aromatic.
- Toppings: This dish has a lots of delicious toppings. Crispy garlic flakes, garlic oil, chicken crackling, fresh spring onions, and quick homemade pickle. The key ingredient for this noodle dish is the unique garlic oil.
How to make Crispy Garlic Noodles :
First of all, cut the chicken into small cubes, set aside.
Pat dry the chicken skin with paper towel to remove excess moisture and cut into small pieces.
Finely chop the garlic cloves. Cut spring onion into thin slices.
To make the quick chilli pickle, cut shallot, cucumber, chilli into thin slices. Add vinegar, soy sauce and sugar. Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
Fry the chicken skin in vegetable oil, with medium heat. When it become crispy golden brown, remove from oil and transfer to paper towel.
Moisture left chicken skin can splat, use splatter guard if needed.
In the remaining oil, fry garlic until brown. Let it cool down for few minutes and transfer to bowl and set aside. (Be careful not to burn the garlic, burnt garlic can make the dish bitter taste. Turn off the heat, as soon as the garlic colour change into light brown.)
If you use dry noodles, boil the noodles by packet instructions. Drain the water and set aside.
Add a tablespoon of garlic oil in a pan. Saute` the chicken pieces for 1-2 mins then add the soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil and white pepper. Stir well for few seconds.
Add the noodles in, mix well to combine all ingredients evenly. Continue stir fry until the noodles become glossy.
To serve the noodle, place the chicken noodle in the bottom of the serving bowl, topped with chicken crackling, chilli pickle, spring onions, garlic flakes and a drizzle of garlic oil.
Delicious Crispy Garlic Noodles is ready! Enjoy!
Crispy Garlic Noodle ( Sechet Khao Swe` )
- 200 g Boneless chicken thigh/breast
- 50 g Chicken skin
- 120 g Dry wheat noodles see details in note
- 8-10 cloves Garlic
- 2-3 Spring onions
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil peanut/sunflower/canola
Stir fry sauce
- 2 tbsp Light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Oyster sauce
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
- ¼ tsp White pepper powder
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 2 Shallots
- 2 Red/green chilli
- ¼ Cucumber
- 1 tbsp White vinegar
- 1 tbsp Light soy sauce
- 1 tsp Sugar
- Cut the chicken into small cubes. Pat dry the chicken skin with paper towel to remove excess moisture and cut into small pieces.
- Finely chop the garlic cloves. Cut spring onion into thin slices.
- To make the chicken crackling, add oil in the pan, heat up to medium heat, add the cut chicken skin and fry until the chicken skin become crispy golden brown. Remove the chicken crackling from oil and transfer to paper towel.
- In the remaining oil, stir fry the chopped garlic until crispy brown. Let it cool down for few minutes and transfer to bowl and set aside.
- Boil the noodles per packet instructions. Drain the water and set aside.
- Add a tablespoon of garlic oil in a pan, add the cut chicken pieces and stir fry for 1-2 mins until the chicken colour change, then add the stir fry ingredients. Stir well for few seconds.
- Add the noodles in, mix well to combine all ingredients. Continue stir fry till the noodles become nice and glossy.
- To make the quick chilli pickle, cut shallot, cucumber, chilli into thin slices. Add vinegar, soy sauce and sugar. Mix all ingredients in a bowl.
- To serve the noodle, place the chicken noodle in the bottom of the serving bowl, topped with chicken crackling, chilli pickle, spring onions, garlic flakes and a bit of garlic oil.
- Delicious Crispy Garlic Noodles is ready! Enjoy!