Super quick and delicious Asian meatballs two ways, fried chicken meatballs and meatballs in flavourful tomato sauce. Packed with flavours, anyone can make at home with simple ingredients.
My mom used to make for us and we loved having these small meatball bites with chilli sauce. These dishes can serve as appetizers, savoury snacks, or great as a main meal. Serve over rice or you can add the fried meatballs in between wraps or bread, with your favourite sauce and salad.
What I love about these meatballs are, you can freeze them and save it for busy days. You can create your own style by adding chicken or prawn mince or add both. I used chicken thigh mince in this recipe.
If you enjoy our recipe, please leave a comment and give us a rating! If you've tried this recipe, tag me on social medias, I would love to see your creations! Follow me on social medias Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest for latest updates.
- 400 g Chicken thigh mince
- 2 tbsp Oil vegetable or peanut/sunflower/canola oil
- 1 tsp Ginger paste/finely grated
- 1 tsp Garlic paste/finely grated
- ⅓ cup Chopped coriander (a handful of chopped coriander)
- 1 tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Black pepper
- 2 tbsp Corn/potato flour(starch)
- 1 Egg
- 1-2 tbsp Breadcrumbs ( optional ) If the mixture is too soft to roll, you can add extra breadcrumbs.
Tomato Sauce Ingredients
- 2 Ripen vine tomatoes finely chopped
- 2-3 Shallots onions finely chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Paprika/chilli powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 cup Warm water/ chicken stock
- 2-3 Green chillies sliced
- Coriander for garnish
- 1-2 tbsp Oil
- In a large mixing bowl, combine chicken mince and all the mince ingredients. Using your hand or fork , mix well until all ingredients are evenly combine.
- To make meatballs, wet hands with water or oil. Scoop one tablespoon of chicken mixture and roll it between your palm. Place the rolled meatball in tray. Repeat process to remaining chicken mixture.
- In a large pan, heat two tablespoon of oil into medium heat. Add the meatballs and fry for 2-3 mins, turn sides until the meatballs are golden brown.
- When the meatballs are fully cooked, remove from pan and transfer to paper towel.
- Transfer to serving plate and serve with sweet chilli sauce or your choice of favourite dipping sauce.
- In the same pan, add another one to two tablespoon of oil. Add chopped garlic and stir fry for few seconds then follow with the chopped shallots.
- Stir fry the shallots until brown and crispy, then add the chopped tomatoes. Stir for one minute, add salt, turmeric and paprika powder. Saute` the ingredients until it become smooth paste.
- Pour one cup of warm water in and simmer for 1 min and place the fried meatballs back in. Cook for another 1-2 minute, sprinkle chillies and coriander and stir well. ( Optional : You can add chicken stock/broth instead of water for more taste and flavour. )
- Try taste test and adjust adding extra salt according to your taste.
- Transfer to serving plate and garnish with fresh coriander and green chillies.
- Delicious meatball in tomato sauce is ready! Enjoy!