Bake the chips in oven or deep fry or air fry them according to packet instructions, until crispy golden.
Heat the pan to low-medium heat, drizzle 1 tablespoon of oil, add chopped onion and stir fry few seconds. Follow with the chopped garlic and saute until light brown.
Add turmeric, curry powder, chilli flakes, black pepper and stir fry few seconds until fragrant. Next add tomato ketchup, salt and water. ( Add more water if needed. )
Stir well until the sauce starts to get thicken, add the fried chips. Toss well to combine everything evenly for 1 minute.
Turn off the heat and sprinkle chopped coriander and chilli slices. Transfer to serving plate and serve immediately.
Nutritional information is calculated approximately and can be varied by the number of factors.
- Chips - I used frozen straight cut oven chips in the recipe, you can simply swap with fresh potatoes, sweet potatoes, French fries, etc.
- Oil - If you are deep-frying or shallow-frying the chips, use neutral flavour oil, like sunflower, canola, grapeseed or vegetable oil.
- Baking and air-frying option - You can air fry or bake in the oven according to packet instructions, spray or brush a bit of oil over the chips for an extra crispy texture.
- Curry powder - Use any of your favourite curry powder. We usually use Madras or TESCO curry powder for this recipe.
- Crushed Chilli flakes - You can adjust the chilli amount to your preference. If you prefer hot, add more chilli flakes or chilli powder. Or you can omit it if you prefer it mild.
- Tomato Ketchup - Use tomato ketchup to bring the sweet and tangy flavour. If you are using tomato paste or puree, add 1 tablespoon of tomato puree, 1 teaspoon of lime juice and 1 teaspoon of sugar.
- Can you reheat masala chips? It tastes best when freshly cooked. I do not recommend to reheat but you can reheat with preheated air-fryer or oven.
- Servings - You can serve up to 4 people as an appetizer or sides.
Calories: 379kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 13g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1446mg | Potassium: 623mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 158IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 2mg